Saturday 5 January 2013

I remember going there


I saw a news item yesterday about the museum of costume in Bath which is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2013.

I remember visiting there as a child, but as it must have opened in 1963 and I left home in 1971 then it would have been a fairly new museum when I went.  Not that I realised, although I suppose that's because it's housed in a much older building.

I remember getting several of these which I carefully coloured in and cut out. 

Did I mention my highest grade at 'O' Level was for Needlework?



4 comments:

  1. When I was about 14, I received 34% in an end of term Needlework exam. The next term, I sneaked into the needlework room and removed my bag from the cupboard and never went back. If my absence was noticed it was never remarked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love those paper dolls. Heads off to see if there's a paper doll app on her iPad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I haven't seen one of those for years! Happy memories.

    I shall have to make sure I get down there for one of the 50th anniversary events. It's exactly the sort of museum I love.

    I wasn't allowed to do needlework (or cookery, or art) because apparently 'bright girls don't need to do those subjects'. My parents pleaded for me to be allowed to do them without tuition, as I did enough at home to have the skills, and was happy to do the written work and practical tasks at home and in my lunch hours, but the Headmistress refused. I'm convinced that's why it took me until a few years ago to get back to enjoying art and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap BW - I was "streamed" at grammar school away from all but the minimum Art, Domestic Science etc and then had to drop them asap due to timetable clashes with Maths, Physics etc - and I, too have taken a long time to get back into such things. I am actually not bad at them now - and enjoy them ( more to the point)

    I do remember the paper dolls, I loved colouring in different costumes.

    ReplyDelete